August 6, 2015

Natalie Faith Meyer | 7.4.15

*Disclaimer: This is a birth story, if you're a boy other than my husband you've been warned. Nuff said.
**And for anyone who is interested, you can find Noah's birth story here and Everly's here.

I wanted to make sure to record Natalie's birth story before I forget the details. So I sit here typing with my one free arm while holding her in my other arm. I can't complain.

All three of my pregnancies have been very similar, I get really exhausted in the first and third trimesters like most woman, and I get some food aversions but nothing too serious.

The last month before Natalie was born I spent nesting and preparing for her arrival. Everly was born two weeks early, so I was packed and ready for the hospital at 37 weeks this time. Well by 38 weeks I was dilated to 3cm and both Matt and I kept saying that today was the day. As each day passed with no real signs of labor I would get more and more discouraged, uncomfortable, and impatient.

At my 39 week appointment I was dilated to 5cm!!! I had felt like things had progressed over the weekend as I was in a heck of a lot pain and just walking was becoming more and more unbearable. But 5cm?! I didn't even know that it was possible to be that far dilated without being in active labor.
At that appointment my midwife swept my membranes (just typing that sounds gross, so sorry) and told me I could schedule an elective induction for later that week if I wanted to. In a moment of desperation I went ahead and scheduled one for July 2nd. However, once I got home I immediately regretted it and canceled it later that afternoon. It's not that I'm against inductions, I just knew I would feel guilty for trying to evict baby girl before her due date of July 6th and I knew that I would be disappointed if I didn't at least wait until then. I also wanted to go as natural as possible, as with Everly, and well inductions just aren't.

The days continued to be a waiting game with still no sign of real labor, and I was convinced that later the next week I would have to be induced anyways. Finally Saturday morning, July 4th, I woke up at around 4 am with some cramping. I tried to not think much of it, as I didn't want to get my hope up. Around 5 am I was starting to become more uncomfortable and decided to wake Matt up and call my mom to come stay with Noah and Everly. We started to get our things together and it became more and more clear that this was really it.

We arrived at the hospital sometime before 6am and waited in triage to be admitted. I was still only dilated to a 5 when first checked and my heart sank knowing I would have to wait in triage longer. Within about an hour or so my water broke while I was in the bathroom. And with excitement and more pain I told Matt to tell the nurse, knowing I could finally be admitted. Well, he forgot to tell them my water indeed had broken, and instead just told them that I needed to be "checked." So after some waiting in our room, and me growing impatient I figured out Matt hadn't told them the exact details of my water breaking, once he finally told the nurse the show was on the road! (In my defense, triage nurses aren't known for their speed! -Matt)

With Everly's birth once my water was broken she arrived in about 20 minutes, so I was thinking the same would happen again. Wrong.

At around 8am I was able to get into the birthing tub and probably spent most of the transition in the water. Those tubs are pretty stinking awesome, and are a must for me without drugs. My body was able to relax for a while through contractions before they grew more intense. At some point I just remember my legs aching so bad and feeling so tired I thought there was no way this would ever end, as I'm sure many women think in labor. I was ready to throw in the towel and be done, but that's usually never a choice.

My midwife, Rachel, suggested I try laboring in bed and put me in a couple different position to try and turn Natalie as she was posterior (face up). Neither of them really worked and she suggested to try and start pushing as I felt I needed to. Eventually she suggested to try a birthing stool (google it if your interested, ha!) she explained that baby was posterior and that I would have to work harder to get her out. At some point while pushing on the stool, baby girl must of flipped because she ended up face down. She began crowning while I was still on the stool.  I feel like it's some sort of liability to deliver a baby anywhere other than in bed, so they frantically moved me across the room back into the bed.

Right after being thrown back in bed, Natalie Faith Meyer, our very own firecracker, entered the room at 10:20am weighing in at 8lbs. 4oz. and stretching to 19.5 inches long.

I was super grateful to have a fast recovery, the best so far. And she has been a dream baby. Noah has become protective of his sisters and sweet with Natalie when he's not busy playing legos. I was more worried about Everly's transition with a baby, but so far she absolutely adores her. She walks around saying "I kiss you baby" all day, and even helps throw diapers away (although she might be fired soon, as we found one under Noah's bed yesterday- Ew).

This girl has fit seamlessly into our family, and we are blessed.

No comments :

Post a Comment