April 21, 2014

Everly Faith

On August 5th of last year we welcomed our daughter Everly Faith Meyer to our family. And I wanted to make sure I documented her birth story here, so here it is.

This pregnancy was similar to Noah's in a lot of ways. I had minimal nauseous, was super tired, but for the most part felt well, until about 35 weeks or so. This time around I remember feeling a lot more discomfort in my final trimester. I'm sure most full term pregnant women try to will themselves into labor because towards the end I just felt miserable. Well baby girl got the hint and arrived two weeks early.

At 37 weeks I remember having some braxton hicks that were pretty uncomfortable. I never felt those with Noah, so I immediately called my midwife, only to be told it most likely wasn't anything. UGH! Didn't they know this was my second child and I was an expert?! Psh, as if. Well I quickly began to doubt myself. I thought surely I will know what labor is and when it is time to go to the hospital.

Another week went by and Matt and I made plans to celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary. We booked a night away in town and arranged for grandparents to watch Noah. We had big plans to relax and sleep in with a big fancy brunch to top it off. We were able to catch an outdoor concert downtown that night with friends. But the next morning I was woken up at 5:30am with nausea and diarrhea. TMI? Well it's real life. I thought surely this is it. This is exactly what happened before we headed to the hospital with Noah. I rested for a while longer and tried to enjoy our time away, but I was too uncomfortable to keep our brunch reservations and we ended up just going home.

I was beginning to really question myself for not knowing my body, and when I was labor. The next night at home at around 1am I started to have more uncomfortable contractions. By 2am I called Matt (who was working) asking if he was on his way home yet. I also called my mom, and she came over to stay with Noah just in case we had to leave for the hospital. By 2:30am I was ready to leave and not come home without baby girl in my arms. We checked into the hospital at around 3 and I had to wait in the triage room because my water hadn't broke yet. I felt pretty discouraged to be stuck in triage and wasn't sure if they would send me home. I was having really strong contractions by this point and was dialated to 3-4cm.

Before ever having experienced labor I thought for sure I'll have a natural birth. Then BOOM real labor started and I gave in immediately! I had the whole shabang of drugs with Noah, and honestly don't regret it. However, I still did want to experience a natural birth this time around. Part of me felt like I was being naive again and forgetting how bad it did in fact hurt. I started reading "Husband-Coached Childbirth: The Bradley Method of Natural Childbirth." Well I got about 3/4ths of the way through the book, and Matt read maybe the first couple chapters before Everly was born. So I thought, "Oh well, you tried." The week before her birth I had met with one of my midwives, Rachel, and explained my birth with Noah, and how I had hoped to give natural birth a shot this time. Well God placed Rachel on rotation that night for Everly's birth, and I'm so thankful she was there the whole time.

I continued to labor in triage with the Bradley Method in the back of mind as each contraction came. Rachel kept encouraging me that this was not the same birth experience as before and my body was capable of birth. Matt was my biggest support physically and emotionally through everything. I think he probably felt more confident this time around knowing what to expect.

At around 4:30am I was finally admitted to our room and was able to labor in the birthing tub. I had dialated to 8cm by then. Both Matt and I were in disbelief as Noah's labor was long and slow to progress. My water had still not broke at this point. Rachel told us I could continue to labor until my water broke, or she could break it. She estimated that if she broke my water Everly would arrive in about half an hour. I was really nervous to have my water broken because I knew there was no turning as far as drugs go, and I still doubted myself. I mean I had never pushed a baby out without pain meds, and even with meds it still hurt like heck. But I was also to the point I was ready to end everything and meet our baby.

So we agreed to have my water broken, and after pushing for a hard 25 minutes with the nurse reminding me to breath so as not to pass out, Everly Faith Meyer was born at 7:01am weighing 6lbs. 13oz. and 19inches long. Meeting her was such a different experience than with Noah. I can clearly remember everything, and was completely flooded with emotions and love for this tiny little girl that God placed in our family.


  1. Congrats on a drug free labor! Beautiful birth story. It's amazing what our bodies are capable of!

  2. Thanks Daphney! I think we're both pretty lucky to have experienced it now!