January 24, 2012

Our Baby Story Part Two

This is the story of how our Bubba Chubb came to be.... at the hospital.

It all started on July 11th, which was actually my due date, when I went to my appointment with my midwife. I'd been waiting for that day to arrive for months and months and when it finally came, nothing happened. Until my appointment where my mid-wife decided to "stir things up" with the hope of starting labor. 

After the appointment I had some cramping and was hopeful that this was the moment! After a couple of hours and a nap later though I felt totally normal. Later that afternoon Matt had a softball game with our church league that he plays in. I had planned on going, but it's was pretty hot out, and I had started to feel sick. So, at around 5 p.m. or so he left for the game. 

Almost right after he left for the game I really started to feel sick, and was glad I stayed home. For about the next 30-45 minutes I bunkered down in the bathroom with nausea. By this point I was starting to get some stomach cramps too, so I thought it'd be a good idea to call Matt. Unfortunately I couldn't get ahold of him! So after a few phone calls later to a friend on her way to the game I got ahold of him and told him I thought it was time. AHHHH. In birthing class everyone talked about how they labored at home for hours. However, by the time Matt came home and showered I was ready to go to the hospital. I was in so much pain the idea of counting contractions flew out the window, it was pretty close to constant pain by this time. So Matt made the phone call to our midwife and they said they would let the hospital know we were on the way, but most likely they would send us home to labor. 

I had always pictured our ride to the hospital as this moment where we were able to call and text everyone we knew that the time had come, and that we'd look at each other with a "this is it" moment. UMMM WRONG! In the three minute drive to the hospital all I could think about was getting there so I could get some pain medication! When we arrived at the hospital we went through the emergency room, (which on a side note can I just say uh why didn't our birthing class cover where to park????!!!) where I gladly accepted a wheel chair ride to the labor and delivery floor. Once we got to the floor they let us know that all the rooms were full and we'd have to wait in the main waiting room, not triage, the WAITING ROOM! Say what? I felt like Mary and Joseph except I wasn't giving birth to Jesus. We had to wait something like 15-30 minutes while they figured out where to put us. IT WAS THE WORST. I remember just crying to Matt to get me room, and poor Matt was just helpless trying to talk to staff and figure things out. Once they got us to a room, at around 7p.m., I remember thinking there is no way they are going to send me home. And as it turns out they weren't going to send me home since my water had broken slightly, and I was dilated to 4cm.  

Once I was admitted and knew we were staying I made sure to get an IV as soon as possible. I remember thinking before Noah was born that I would have this beautiful drug free natural birth and it would be the most wonderful thing. I mean women have been doing this for thousands of years, right? Yikes was I wrong, the nurse couldn't get my IV in fast enough. And after that the anesthesiologist couldn't get there soon enough for an epidural. 

I don't really remember time lines of events, more so just the order of things. Once I got the epidural, at around 8 or 9 p.m. I slept until about 2 a.m. At around 4 a.m. my midwife said it was time to start pushing. By this time my epidural was starting to wear off, the nurse kept increasing my pitocin, which only made me mad, and I was exhausted from the night.

Matt was right there by my side the whole time. I remember before labor we had planned having a playlist of music, massage techniques, and lots of different ways to distract me from the pain. Matt tried to help distract me, but all I wanted was silence, silence, silence. So strange, I know. And I know Matt was bored to tears, especially while I slept because I didn't even let him watch tv. 

I remember pushing for a long time, and nothing really progressing. At one point the nurse, who I did NOT like by this point, told Matt I just needed to push harder. PSH. After five hours of pushing off and on (I think most first time moms push around 2 hours) my midwife told me we had three choices 1. Push harder (which by then I was so tired anyways) 2. C-section or 3. We could trying using a vacuum. Since the first two sounded awful we gave the third one a try, and it worked! Oh sweet relief was all I remember. After nine full months we finally got to meet our baby boy. 

Noah Paul Meyer was born at 9:43 a.m. on Tuesday, July 12, 2011. He weighed in at 8 lbs. 6 oz. and was 20 inches long. 

Being a first time parent is probably the craziest thing in life EVER. I remember looking at him the whole day and just thinking how the heck did you get here? Where did you come from? It felt so strange to think now it's the three of us, and to say "this is my son."  It's such an amazing experience. 

Fresh Brand New Baby
Being born is exhausting. Day two of life. 

All the grandparents visiting. 

1 comment :

  1. I love the reality of birth stories... especially compared to what we're told in birthing class. Now that we're approaching the second time around, I still feel totally unprepared and as though I have no idea what to expect. I just hope we don't end up in the waiting room!